Get in the spirit and create your own ugly Christmas sweater. It’s simpler than you think. Start with a plain sweater which you can easily find one at one of the 22 Goodwill of Orange County stores, and we will show you how to win the prize for the ugliest sweater at the party.
You can also create DIY sweaters for the whole family and take a hilarious family photo.
For our project we used:
- a big sweater (you can also use a sweater vest)
- a hot glue gun
- decorations such as garland, jingle bells, ornaments and bows
You may already have many of these items, or check the decor section at a Goodwill of Orange County store.
- Lay out your decorations before gluing them permanently
- Cut the garland into strips starting with the longer pieces at the bottom and work upward until you form the shape of a Christmas tree
- Hot glue the garland to the sweater.
- Make a tree topper using bows and bells
- Place some presents under the tree
We thought the finished product was tacky, gaudy and fabulous!
Goodwill of Orange County gathers ugly Christmas sweaters all year long for you to purchase.
We found a willing model. Doesn’t this make you burst into a smile?
You can also have fun making an ugly Christmas skirt or poncho from a tree skirt.
Feel good about shopping and supporting Goodwill! Your purchases and donations help support Goodwill’s programs and services which provide job and employment training to people with disabilities or barriers in Orange County.
Stop by for more budget-inspired ideas and follow along on Pinterest too!
We would love to share your DIY ugly Christmas sweater found at Goodwill or made from a Goodwill find. Tag your photo on social media with the hashtag #FindTheGood.
This project was created by Adrianna of More With Less Today.