Find inexpensive wine glasses at Goodwill of Orange County stores and turn them into custom gifts for the holidays.
Painting on wine glasses is a fun way to create unique, personalized gifts for family and friends. You can paint names, phrases, or dates to create special keepsakes. Or you might want to use them to set your holiday table.
- Wine Glasses
- Rubbing alcohol or white vinegar
- Acrylic Paint Pens
- Acrylic Paint
- Stencils (optional) you can also draw or paint freehand
Tip: Choosing paint and paint pens can be overwhelming at the craft store. Ask an associate to recommend the best acrylic paint and paint pens to use on glass. Also ask about drying time as it can differ by paint brands.
1) Wash the glasses in warm, soapy water and dry them. Clean off any dirt, oil, film, or fingerprints by dipping a clean paper towel with rubbing alcohol or white vinegar and allow the glasses to dry completely for about 15 minutes.
2) Keep the rims of the glasses paint free. You do not want any paint to come in contact with the mouth or the liquid inside. You can use masking tape or painters tape at the top of the glasses if you need a guide.
3) Decorate the glasses to your liking using acrylic paint pens and stencils. We found these self-adhering letter stencils at Walmart. We used the paint pens inside the stencils.
4) Flip the wine glasses upside down and paint the stems and the bottom. We used the acrylic paint for the stems and the bottoms.
5) Allow plenty of time for your glasses to completely dry. This will take days and not hours so do not be tempted to touch them. Find an out of the way spot and let them dry.
6) Do not place these in the dishwasher, they need to be washed by hand. Do not soak them.
You can also fill them with candy or treats!
Did you see our painted vase project for your Thanksgiving table? Follow the easy steps here:
You can make custom chalkboards for DIY gifts too! See how these are made here.
Here are a few other easy DIY ideas using glassware easily found at your favorite Goodwill store:
Find the tutorial for these easy DIY glassware projects here:
Feel good about shopping and supporting Goodwill! Your purchases and donations help support Goodwill’s programs and services which provide job and employment training to people with disabilities or barriers in Orange County.
This project was created by Adrianna of More With Less Today.
Stop by for more budget-inspired ideas and follow along on Pinterest too!
Are you a Goodwill crafter too? We would enjoy connecting with you on social media using the hashtag #FindTheGood